Migration prior to a new ERP system
How we helped the client
The client, a government agency, wanted to enhance the efficiency of its financial management and achieve greater transparency in its accounting systems. This was to be achieved agency-wide via new working practices and a new ERP system.
Actea came into the project in its initial phases only to be confronted by a host of challenges and demanding tasks.
How we did it
During the project we carried out the following tasks:
- Mapping of all the systems within the agency at a fundamental level.
- Identification of interfaces, i.e. how the systems transfer information between each other, as well as the amount of information involved. This is an important task where a number of different systems are meant to interact.
- Identification of the migration needs for each of the systems involved, in other words, the amount of data that has to be transferred to the new system.
- Quality assurance of the data set due for migration.
- Conceptual modelling, in this case so-called alignment (rectification) of concepts and terms from different systems in order to achieve uniformity.
- Mapping of concepts and terms that have been aligned.
- Storage of historical data. Given that not all of the data set would be transferred to the new system, some history would have to be retained to satisfy legal requirements and business needs.
What we achieved
- A transparent and accurate map of the systems in the organisation
- Ensuring accurate information transfer to the new system, as well as retention of other important information
- A fully aligned conceptual model common to all systems
- Enhanced quality of data and information
- Enhanced control of the system interfaces
- Enhanced opportunities for financial monitoring